The foundation section on solvents introduces the idea that solvents are the area where greatest impact in terms of improving the greenness of a chemical process can be achieved. It outlines that this can be achieved both by:
- Minimising human and environmental consequences through the choice and volumes of solvent used;
- Reducing the amount of solvent waste.
In this topic we will explore these aspects in more detail.
By the end of this topic you should:
- Understand why we use solvents;
- Be aware of the factors that should be taken into consideration when selecting a reaction solvent;
- Be aware of strategies for solvent reduction and replacement and their associated advantages and disadvantages.